Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fashion Talk:" Curves Are Back." Were They Ever Gone?



When I read that "Curves Are Back!", in the Bazaar's May 2010 magazine I was super delighted! The magazine brought out that the fashion designers have left the "boyish" look and have embraced the ladylike styles. When I first read that I said to myself, "finally, it was about time!"

Designers everywhere are being inspired with the old fashion trends of the past. Especially the styles of the 40's, 50's and 60's. In the article it brought out how many designers are looking to Jackie O's, Audrey Hepburn, Marylin Monroe, and Grace Kelly for their new inspirations. Each and every one of these ladies had their own signature look that identify them as their own.

I am very thrilled by the great retro styles that have come back! For one thing most women like myself were endowed with soft lines and curves. We can't hide the fact that we are women. And aren't these styles to die for? I absolutely love putting on a dress that makes me feel pretty and ladylike. 

Now my second reaction to the "Curves Are Back", had me also wondering if curves were really gone. As far as I remembered I always had curves and loved looking for clothes that would accentuate my hourglass figure.

You see I came from the Spanish culture were it was alright for women to have curves. The women were proud and happy of having curves, and so were their men. In South America we never heard of women starving on purpose so that they could be thin. Being thin was a sign that you were extremely poor or that you were sick.

Women in these Spanish countries have always embraced their femininity. They love wearing clothes that accentuates their waist, hips, and other parts of their womanly body. Although they looked at the American fashion for style inspiration, at the end they still wanted to look as womanly as possible.

Although I wasn't influenced by the thin and boyish trend that the fashion world was sporting in their run ways. There were times that these skinny trends shown in the fashion magazines was alluring to me. I have to say that these people have a knack in making these thin girls look glamorous and perfect. I could sympathize with young girls and adult women that could easily be influenced by wanting to become thin.

Thin has influenced designers for many years. Around 20's the thin boyish look of the flapper girls were in. Thin again showed up in the late 60' and part of the seventies with the Twiggy influence. Then again in the 90's and up to our time thin was in again. This time the fashion looked more grunge and depressing. One article I read called it the " Heroin Chic" style.

I sincerely hope that the new curvy trend could stay. But as we all know fashion comes and goes. But no matter what the fashion industry dictates what women should wear, women of all ages, shapes, and sizes should always stay true to themselves. For one thing being a woman is great, but being a happy woman is even better!

Copyright © 2008-2010. Time Warp Wives. A Retrotimes Productions Website. All Rights Reserved.


The Parlor Room


Has the thin look ever influenced you? Do you think that the fashion industry have to be blamed by encouraging the thin look? What advice can you give for anyone that has a negative body image of themselves?

We would love to hear your opinion!You are welcome to leave a comment below in our Parlor Room.

Rules of the Parlor Room: Time Warp Wives is a family friendly place. Please be courteous and respectful in your comments. Thanks!

2 comments:

WendyBee said...

I love a curvy look. I have always been tallish and "healthy" looking. As a teenager, I waited for my hips to arrive and for my waist to narrow. That never happened and I've been disappointed ever since. I did however develop an overly-ample bosom. (Ample is womanly, over-ample is matronly, at best...ah, well). I love womanly, feminine fashions. As far as I am concerned, there can't be too much frills and ruffles, fancy fabrics and flattering colors and styles. And lace, more lace, everywhere. In a way, it doesn't much matter what is on the racks anyway. My figure doesn't conform to standard sizing anyway. I do best with knits, making my own, or altering ready-made. I especially like to see clothing that is custom-fitted to the wearer. So much of what we look back to in mid-20th century are photos of fashions beautifully fitted to the models, and the charm lies in the fit and the cleverness with which a good fitting can enhance a small bust, whittle a waist, round out the hip, fool the eye in so many flattering ways. I love seeing how lovely Joan Blondell looks as K.Hepburn's sidekick in the movie "Desk Set". Even Ethel Merman looks womanly-shapely and feminine with the wizardry of her costume designers (and good foundation wear!). I don't mean that EM wasn't a lovely woman to begin with, just that she was more of an apple than a pear, and that is a natural womanly shape that I can identify with, and for larger ladies (like myself), the apple is oft-forgotten by designers for plus-sizes, who are targetting pears.
All this to say, curves should be back, by gum. And like Dolly, Curves should never go away again!

Carmen Johnson said...

Hello WendyBee,

Thanks for your comment!

I am a very petite woman and I always dreamed about being a little bit taller.

For many years I had a hard time for people to take me serious. I am the oldest of four children. But people still think that I am the baby of the family. The hardest thing for me was going to a party. I was hardly asked out to dance. The fellows favored a more developed girl.

It wasn't until my 30's that I finally got a more womanly figure. Perhaps getting married a few years earlier helped speed up the process.

I totally agree with you about custom-fitted clothes. Back then people took time to built beautiful feminine clothes that enhanced any women no matter what shape they had.

Besides the style of any garment I think that a good fabric also plays a big roll on how a dress will look on your particular body shape.

Clothing now are way too flimsy and ends up unflattering even the most attractive woman. Understandably many are discouraged when they can't find that right fit.

Good thing that retro style clothing are back! I have found great tailored styles and great fabric all in one!

I am also a big fan of the wrapper dress. It is true that this dress fabric is softer than a structure garment, it still looks good on any body shape. The key is to wear a well fitted undergarment that helps smooth out the fabric and that also enhances your womanly curves.

Chao,

Carmen

Blog contents © Time Warp Wives ™ - Fashion & Beauty 2017. A Retrotimes Productions Website. Theme by Nymphont.